Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Power of Power.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to change a poopy diaper by candle light? Nearly impossible. I don't know how they did it in cave man days (did they even have diapers??? maybe they used leaves...). I could have gone postal on NV Energy the last 2 days. To say the least, my luck hasn't been that great since about Friday. I'm not going to bore you with my pitty party, but I will bore you with my strong abhorring for the flippin power company. Tuesday morning I woke up thinking, "Ming, we aren't in Kansas anymore". The wind was so strong it blew over one of our huge pine trees, blew our bbq across the patio, shifted all of our heavy patio furniture, and took tiles off of our roof. And of course, our power was out. I'm kind of used to that. Ever since we moved here last year, our power goes out more than ever in my life. The most has been for maybe 12 hours or so. Not this time. When I first called the power company they told me my power would be restored by noon. GREAT! Not a big deal at all. I was going to pack me and the baby up, go to my moms, shower and hang out. Then my handsome husband wakes up (don't have any clue how he slept through the tornado of the year) and says, "honey don't worry, in a half hour we will have power. I'm going to go get the generator and hook up our water." See, since we are on a well out here, if we don't have power, we don't have water. And since we have radiant floor heating, if we don't have water, we don't have heat. You get the picture, right? Well I'm thinking, "husband to the rescue!" and bless his soul, it was NOT a half hour later, but almost 5 hours later, we had water, And heat. And one light. That's right, by 2 pm we were ready to roll. But wait, the power company had said we would be restored by noon, hmmmm. I call again and this time they tell me 3. 3 pm comes and goes...no power. I call again. 7 pm is the new time estimate. While I'm gone picking up Bransons heart medicine (that is a WHOLE different story, I'll save it for a rainy day), 7 pm quickly popped up. Stillnopower (just say it as one word, it may as well be at this point). Ryan calls, and the lady PROMISES him it will be NO LATER than 9 pm. You can guess what happened next, right? Fast forward to the next day at 1 pm, we finally have power. We called so many times that they finally stopped giving us any information. And the worst part? Everyone on our street and in our entire neighborhood had power but us. It took a favor from a friend that has a brother who works at NV Energy to get this thing fixed. Within 2 hours of calling Mr. High-Up-At-NVEnergy, we were completely back in action. 33 hours later. I went 33 hours with no TV, no computer, no light, no washer/dryer, no dishwasher, no music, no life, with a 6 month old baby. So what is the lesson learned here? I'm going to do my very best to stick it to the power company. I'm researching wind mills and solar panels, and I'm going to forgo the damn power company. Anything has got to be better than dealing with those people. Except you Mr. High-Up that helped us. You're cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment